Please review some of our most common enquiries regarding our extensive jewellery services. Feel free to contact us if you have a more specific question. Thank you for shopping Made You Look Jewellery Studio and Gallery
1. What are the steps for ordering custom jewellery?
2. How do I pick which designer to work with?
3. Do I have to make an appointment to meet with a designer, or can I just walk in?
4. Do I have to custom order something or can I buy something that is ready-made?
5. Where do I meet the designer?
6. How should I prepare for my meeting?
7. How long is a typical meeting?
8. Does it cost anything to have a meeting?
9. I have trouble making up my mind, am I still a good candidate for having custom work done?
10. My wedding is getting expensive, do you sell cheap wedding bands?
11. Are the prices firm or is there some wiggle room?
12. How are prices determined?
13. Do you have payment plans?
14. What if I custom order something and I am not happy with it?
15. What are your guarantees?
16. How long does it take to create a custom piece?
17. Can I pay a rush fee to make it happen more quickly?
18. Can my deposit be refunded?
19. I saw something online, can you make the same piece for less money?
20. How will I know what my custom jewellery will look like?
21. Does my piece come with an appraisal?
22. Can you match the discount diamond pricing I have seen on-line?
23. Can I use my old gold and gemstones to create a new piece of jewellery?
24. How much money ‘should’ I spend on an engagement ring?
25. How do I know that I am not buying a blood diamond?
2. Pick which designer you would like to work with, by checking out their work in person or on-line. Or have us match you up with the most appropriate designer based on your unique needs.
3. Establish the details of the project.
4. Pay a 50% deposit to start the work.
5. Have 1-3 meetings and see 1-3 drawings or wax model before completion.
6. Pick up the finished piece and pay remaining balance.
*Once there is a full and clear understanding of your request, an estimate will be prepared for you. Once you receive your quote, it will be valid for 2 weeks, due to the fluctuating price of gold.
*Diamonds and gemstones will be held for 1 week maximum, before being made available to other customers.
*Gemstones valued at $5000 and up must be paid for in full.
Once you know who you would like to work with, we will arrange for you to have a meeting with that designer.
Your budget is an important part of the custom design process. There are numerous variables that go into creating our estimates. Knowing your priorities is very helpful. Metals, stone quality and carat weights greatly affect our estimates. Changing any one of these variables, even slightly, can greatly influence the price. Labour is also a factor and everyone knows ‘time is money.’ More involved requests will take more time and you should expect to pay accordingly. Having additional meetings, extra email correspondence and more drawings may result in additional charges.
During your design consultations you will be fully informed about your piece of jewellery and the qualities and or limitations of its materials. Your jewellery designer will educate you on how to look after your piece of jewellery and how to maintain it so it can last a lifetime.
Removing your jewellery during heavy activity will help to ensure it’s integrity. If your piece of jewellery requires repair due to a defect in materials or fabrication, the repair will be done free of charge.
If your jewellery has become damaged, or deteriorated over time with normal wear, the repair may be subject to normal repair charges.
Ring sizing will be done free of charge immediately after purchase or first wearing.
Ring sizing due to weight gain or loss, body changes or switching fingers will be subject to normal alteration charges.
If small stones are lost within the first 6 months, they will be replaced free of charge. Losing small stones after 6 months may be subject to normal replacement charges.
Any piece of jewellery that has been custom made can not be returned and money will not be refunded.
The short answer is No. Shopping for discount diamonds and gemstones on-line hurts small independent business people. Here at Made You Look we believe in the importance of bricks and mortar businesses and the value they add to a city and it’s culture. We encourage you to reconsider your on-line diamond or gemstone purchase.
Instead, we would like to source diamonds and gemstones for you. It may be tempting to try and get the lowest price, but it is very hard to understand the true value of a stone and difficult to know who to trust when buying a diamond on-line. We have had many customers disappointed with their on-line diamond purchases, having been sold something that when appraised does not show to be as valuable as what they were told. We are often asked to validate on-line diamond purchases. We are happy to help, but the reality is that our expertise is worth something and therefor needs to cost something.
Yes, it is certainly possible to use or incorporate existing materials. Using your gemstones is quite straightforward. First we will assess the stones to make sure they are suitable to reuse.
Using your old metal to create something new is a labour-intensive process and can be more pricey than you would think. The process of refining the metal to get it ready for reusing can result in being more expensive then simply using new material. Most of our clients can only justify the additional cost when there is sentimental value associated with the old metal.
For a small service charge ($60 + HST ) another option is to turn your old metal into cash. You can then use the cash towards having a custom piece of jewellery made.